Monday 15 April 2013

Pied Wagtails

For those who have read my blog for a while, you'll know that I love these little birds.  Each year a pair of Pied Wagtails have nested at my workshop and raised successful broods.  Their first job seems to be a thorough clean-up of old nests and possible nest sites, and then bring in fresh material.  They are quite messy with this, and drop bits of hay, feathers, moss and dried grass, so I know just where they have been.  They seem to know I am watching them though, and try to keep their chosen spot a secret and don't generally go to it until I look away, or carry on with what I am doing.


Last week a pair returned, flitting and chirping and home making, which made me very glad.

So often bird movement is highly localised, so I was wondering if you  have any birds beginning their nesting, and if you have a favourite visitor?

6 comments:

  1. From our kitchen or bedroom windows we can see a Robin busy with nest building in a tangle of clematis on our garden wall.
    But what I most look forward too every year is the return of the spotted flycatchers and their distinctive chee-chat-chat from a wire outside the bathroom window.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Celia - I haven't seen them for many years, but have watched them on walks, where from a favourite branch in a hedgerow they fly out sideways into the open, catch something and re-land on their branch - over and over. Are they back with you now?

      Delete
    2. It's too early, later in April fingers crossed.

      Delete
    3. I'll keep fingers crossed too - do let us know when they arrive!

      Delete
  2. I love the name of those, Pied wagtails. Do you have sandhill cranes in England? They are huge beautiful birds that mate for life and usually only have one chic. You see them in this part of Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a totally apt descriptive name for them too! Haven't heard of Sandhill Cranes - will now look them up - they sound lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...