Thursday 24 May 2012

Gardening for Wildlife

A Rural Muse - garden designed by Adam Frost

I do get the fever a little - Chelsea Flower Show, don't you?   I find it hugely inspiring for my gardening and I go back to my little patch with renewed vigour, and big ideas.   Last night's coverage highlighted the need and importance of creating gardens for wildlife, insects and pollinators, which was of particular interest to me.  I was amazed to learn that you can buy wildflower turf, strips of wildflower meadow, rolled up like lawn turf, to lay, all ready to go.  I have had disappointing results so far with my sowing of wildflower seeds (perhaps it has been the cold), despite verbal encouragement and nurturing.

Butterfly and Moth wildflower seed mix by Habitat Aid

There are so many seed mixes available - to colour suit or to fit your soil conditions, even regional ones.  The Butterfly and Moth mix from Habitat Aid is one I would like to try.  Most important I think, is that I'm planting native species.  I loved idea behind  the 'A Rural Muse' garden designed by Adam Frost - which he explained whilst getting drenched by rain, but in the most beautiful bluebell wood - sea of blue, dappled light and the fresh delicate green of new tree leaves.  It was lovely to see his passion and excitement.

A Rural Muse - garden designed by Adam Frost

Couldn't help noticing the stone in his garden too and how well he brought it into use  - great rustic blocks, for stepping stones and seating, or for clean, clear, calm areas.  Those rust coloured rugged stone blocks give solidity, texture and invite contact.

A Rural Muse - garden designed by Adam Frost

4 comments:

  1. the best way to attract native life is with native perennials. it's the way I like to garden. less work too because natives aren't high maintenance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Ellen - how come we have got so far removed from what should be instinctive and natural?

      Delete
  2. our wildflower sowings failed too, we thought because we ignored it, but if your nurturing approach was unsuccessful too then i feel less guilty. thanks for the link to the wildflower turf!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had to re-sow my courgette, tomato and cucumber as well as they got 'done in' by the frost. Over the last few days the new seedlings have just romped away and caught up. And, this morning I checked my wildflower patch and I think there may be the odd tiny seedling coming through! Plants are amazingly tough - I'll keep you updated!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...